Thursday, April 3, 2008

Voodoodling with Papa


I don't know what I have been waiting for, but I finally started using my Photoshop program just yesterday. I thought I would try using it to create my next Voodoo doll doodle, or "Voodoodle" as my friend Gretchen Little calls it. So far, I have used Paint Shop Pro for all of my digital art, and though I like it for some things, I was quickly becoming frustrated. I really am an old school artist at heart and all of this digital art stuff is something I am having to get used to.

The first technique I ever learned to do was pen and ink. My father, Don Alvarado, who illustrated several of the Gray's Anatomy textbooks, taught me pen and ink using a quill and ink well. This was many moons ago, before drawing pens and computers graphic illustration programs. I am grateful to have learned this technique, as well as learning it old school style. Taking that technique and attempting to translate it into a computerized digital art form is quite a different experience.

Today's Voodoo doll is Papa Guede, aka Baron Samedi, guardian of the cemetaries along with the barons. Papa Guede is a popular dude in New Orleans Voodoo and you will find his image at ceremonies. Sometimes he makes a grand appearance, dressed to the hilt in a tuxedo, tophat and cane, usually smoking a cigar and sporting quite the potty mouth.

This Voodoodle was inspired by the lifesize Papa Guede found at the New Orleans Voodoo museum. He stands beside the swamp zombie and bedazzles onlookers. I applied pen and ink technique to the doodle as an experiment to see if I could get the effect I wanted. It also gave me some good practice getting used to using the Wacom tablet. I am rather pleased with the result. What do you think?

See this image on a greeting card with a complete ritual inside at my gallery at Zazzle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought it was Legba. :) Once you go into Photoshop you'll never go back. Although, I think Corel Painter is good too. It has a more painterly feel.

Melee La Flambeau said...

Wow. This one is incredible. I really like the ritual card on Zazzle, too. Now I want you to make a whole set, including all of the Loa and Orisha. I know, I know. You're way too busy. Just think of the potential, though. You could be right up there with the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot set.

Denise Alvarado said...

Hi, thank you for the complement. I am working on a whole set actually. Well, 2 sets...one of the veves and one with the loas as I understand them. They will be posted here as I get them done.:)